Monday, January 27, 2014

I'm Trying to be like Jesus - January 27, 2014

The missionaries all got a chance to help make mochi ! My turn!



Bishop started things out...

Long line of kids ready to help make mochi and Bishop Abe helping.


Bishop is a professional...and so is the one that's in the crouched position (he turns the mochi over in the bowl every time it gets pounded.

William giving it a go. He was pretty good at it. The mallet is quite heavy.
On Sunday, Urrichkie Shimai received the gift of the Holy Ghost. Although she understands and can speak Japanese, she understands English better, so the blessing was given in English. Her son, William, only understands Japanese, so I translated for William. It was a very spiritual experience to hear him gasp as I said, "receive the Holy Ghost" in Japanese (which, if anyone is curious...[seirei (w)o ukenasai]. He is excited to feel the Holy Ghost more in his life. After the blessing, Urrichkie Shimai was weeping. She felt so much peace. Real peace...a kind of peace she hadn't felt in a long time. I am so thankful to Heavenly Father for allowing me to have these wonderful experiences. I feel so blessed to be able to witness His mighty hand in the lives of others. Urrichkie Shimai has changed so much. Watching her in church today, I couldn't help but think of this scripture: "And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God." She has truly become a new creature. She knows who she is and she knows what life is truly about.

William had his interview today and we are looking forward to his baptismal service next week. He is such a wonderful boy. We challenged him to try fasting on the day of his baptism (not for the full 24 hours, but for about 15 hours). Then, when he came to church and saw me, one of the first things he told me is that he was fasting today...he hadn't eaten breakfast! Wow!! He has changed a lot in the past month. He didn't really know if God existed before, but now he does! I am so excited for him and the decision he has made to be baptized. As we thought about what songs would be appropriate for the baptismal service, we discussed "I'm trying to be like Jesus." I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH. Isn't that what life is all about. Sometimes people make the gospel too complicated, member or nonmember. Sometimes I think we focus too much on the small, insignificant details than what really matters. When it all comes down to it, all we've got to do is follow Christ. That's it.
I love my Savior. I know that He understands each and every one of us individually. He is our ever-living friend. Our BEST friend. May we all try a little harder to follow Him. To do as He would do. To say what he would say. To be who He wants us to be.

Thank you for all your hard work and prayers. I know that the Lord has been answering your prayers. I love you and pray for you as well.

-山内姉妹

No comments:

Post a Comment